Downtown Traders CNBC contest picks

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Details on first three picks

The scan I am running is looking for uptrending stocks, breaking out of consolidation bases on increased volume. I had a few to choose from today including TROW, ATHR, USG, EXP, CKFR and some others. I then looked at each chart individually and since we are using closing price, I tried to pick the ones breaking out of sound bases that weren't too extended. I'm not sure what sell rules I will use, but I have decided to hold 5 positions max, and divide the money equally among the 5 picks. I will swap out stocks as new ones come in. I plan on rotating frequently and taking small gains rather then holding out for the bigger moves. Here is my quick take on the first three.

GILD: Nice solid triangle base and they had strong volume today. Initial target looks like 69, but still not sure if I hold out for it.

ADM: I'm not as confident in ADM, although they have had some momentum lately. They cleared resistance and had pretty good volume.

TRN: I tried to get in a little early with TRN. They technically haven't cleared resistance on a highs basis, although they cleared closing resistance. Nice volume past two days.

I was tempted to bottom fish on some picks that could explode, but I want to give this strategy a fair shot. We'll see how it transpires.

If anyone else is in the contest, I would love to hear your strategy. Feel free to comment on the post so other's can see too.


DT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home